Caston C of E Primary School
Here is the school in 1972. Note the addition of a new infant classroom at the rear, opened in 1965, on land especially purchased for it. Note also the fence which was erected in 1910 to keep out intruders who it was claimed had placed 'obscene writing' on the toilet walls. Some villagers were incensed that their common land had been fenced and threatened to demolish it but good sense prevailed and with the advent of the motor car a few years later, a fence became essential.